GOSH!ABOUT: Mental Illness and Fashion? .. Why Not?
Editor in Chief: Najaam Lee
Mental Illness is a hidden subject that most do not want to deal with but it is the most popular condition in our society.
Why is that?
First, lets just break it down, because most people think that Mental Illness = CRAZY! Therefore, lets get it correct. What is Mental Illness & Mental Health?
MENTAL ILLNESS according to WEB MD
Mental illness is any disease or condition that abnormally influences the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, or relates to others and to his or her surroundings. Although the symptoms of mental illness can range from mild to severe and are different depending on the type of mental illness, a person with an untreated mental illness often has difficulty coping with life’s daily routines and demands.
MENTAL HEALTH according to MentalHealth.gov
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
Now we have the definition, lets get some numbers to put this into perspective. These stats are from the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) based on 2012 statistics. These numbers are for the United States.
- Approximately 1 in 5 adults in the U.S.—43.7 million, or 18.6%—experiences mental illness in a given year.
- Approximately 1 in 25 adults in the U.S.—13.6 million, or 4.1%—experiences a serious mental illness in a given year that substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities.
- Approximately 1 in 5 youth aged 13–18 (21.4%) experiences a severe mental disorder at some point during their life. For children aged 8–15, the estimate is 13%.
- 1.1% of adults in the U.S. live with schizophrenia.
- 2.6% of adults in the U.S. live with bipolar disorder.
- 6.9% of adults in the U.S.—16 million—had at least one major depressive episode in the past year.
- 18.1% of adults in the U.S. experienced an anxiety disorder such as post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and specific phobias.
- Among the 20.7 million adults in the U.S. who experienced a substance use disorder, 40.7%—8.4 million adults—had a co-occurring mental illness.
The difference between them is that stress is a response to a threat in a situation. Anxiety is a reaction to the stress.
Whether in good times or bad, most people say that stress interferes at least moderately with their lives. Chronic stress can affect your health, causing symptoms from headaches, high blood pressure, and chest pain to heart palpitations, skin rashes, and loss of sleep.
But you can learn how to reduce the impact of stress and manage your symptoms.
Physical activity is a proven way to reduce stress. Regular participation in aerobic exercise has been shown to decrease overall levels of tension, elevate and stabilize mood, and improve sleep and self-esteem. Other effective methods include mind-body practices of breathing exercises, yoga, and meditation.
Relaxation techniques have been used to assist in the treatment of phobias, panic disorder, and depression, as well as providing relief for people in stressful situations. Find out more about complementary and alternative medicine.
But how does Anxiety & Stress tie in with Fashion?
“Our struggles with mental illness, and our experience working with mental health organizations, are what inspired us to start the brand.”
As always more is to come!
Never miss a GOSH! ABOUT article by Subscribing now YES! I want to Follow Now
#najaamlee #NLART #Healing #goshabout #twitter #wearyourlabel #mentalhealth #mentalillness #inspire #blog #sicklecell #anxiety #stress
This article is the property of GOSH! ABOUT, NL ART & HEALING and (c)2015 copyright of GOSHABOUT.WORDPRESS.COM. It is prohibited by law to copy, add, or release this information without signed authorization of the so said company herein listed in this article under the laws of the United States, New York, Massachusetts Copyright Infringement Laws.
REMEMBER! Tweet HASHTAG: #speakonsicklecellobama @POTUS